Friday, February 11, 2011

My valentine turns one month old


How can that be possible? In some ways it feels like a lifetime ago when we brought Wilson home, but in others I feel like it was just yesterday. Now, I must be honest, this is as much a milestone for me as it is for him. I hope others can relate and I don't mean to freak out moms-to-be but that first week was really hard. There we were with this little creature that relied completely on us for survival, kept us up all hours of the day and night, and made me question myself constantly. Now I knew that this is what having a baby meant when we got pregnant, but something about the reality of it was overwhelming. I never knew that something so small could make me feel so inadequate. I second guessed everything I was doing, worrying that I would screw him up in the first week of his life. Not to mention that my body was still recovering from the birthing process, breastfeeding was painful and my emotions were so out of whack I started to feel like a crazy person. I would often just hold Wilson and pray to God to just get us through the first month. I felt that if I could just make it through the first four weeks then by that point I should have a clue as to what I was doing. Now, I know that I am probably being a little too honest about all this. People would probably rather hear how wonderful it all was as I basked in maternal glow, but that was not quite how it was. I loved Wilson more than I could have ever imagined the minute I saw him and I was so thankful to God for blessing us with a healthy baby, but that did not mean that it was easy.

However, it did not take me that month that I prayed for to get to my happy place. It took about a week and half. About that time we had established a routine, I had gotten to know this new man in my life and how to meet his needs, I felt more confident in my abilities, I just accepted that breastfeeding kind of sucks at first, my body felt better and my hormones settled down. I could have never gotten through any of that without the love and support of my husband and my mom and without the constant guidance of Him who listened to my prayers and often calmed my heart and nerves in those moments when I felt so frazzled. Also, thanks to everyone who dropped by and visited and to the various moms who I talked with who helped me realize that all that I was going through was normal. I found that knowing I was not the only one who felt that way those first weeks was a huge help so I hope that maybe this helps someone else out there.

Oh my, I just realized I have written a lot about me during this first month and it should be all about Wilson. So for your viewing pleasure here are some photos from Wilson's first month!


Daddy and his boysWilson's first bath (bath time is daddy time while mommy relaxes)Besides keeping his hand by his face this is Wilson's other favorite place for his hands while he sleeps
Tummy Time!


This is what happens when daddy is left to dress the baby

Go Steelers! (we didn't tell him how the game ended)

Wilson starting to smile at mommy (and daddy too :)

On a lunch date with my friend Keri and her daughter Blair









10 comments:

  1. Too cute, he looks just like you Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you blog Meghan!! I love following and reading because I have a 2 week old, so I know just what you are talking about in this post! :) Yes, it is trying, but so rewarding! Keep posting great posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan, I still doubt myself with a lot of stuff with Bennett!! :) I can't believe he's a month old either! It flies by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. meghan, i will be calling on you i'm sure when july rolls around!! i like that you're honest that first time mommyhood isn't peachy king! wilson is absolutely precious and i think he resembles you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your honesty. It definitely isn't easy those first few weeks! We need to get our boys together!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ready to talk me off of the ledge in T-minus 7 weeks? I am enjoying your blog---my favorite was the picture of Wilson dressed by Ranse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that tummy time picture!! That's the first time I've seen him with his eyes open! And, that smile is just precious. Those first smiles are so precious, they are heartbreaking. And, by first smiles, I mean the ones I still get from Kylie that have my heart expanding! :) The one of Blair and Wilson is too funny. Blair looks like giganto baby and Wilson is like what is all the fuss about?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Meghan he is just too cute! Love the honesty :) Those few weeks are HARD. I think I almost lost my mind about a million times. Lack of sleep, crazy hormones, it's a recipe for disaster :) Sounds like your handling it beautifully, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS - that was a lot of smiley face emoticons. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meghan, I love your honesty. I am sure that you are an amazing mom. We miss you at work, but I know that there is nothing like this time with your little one. Enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete